Yes! Nuts and dry fruits are expensive. The reasons being as follows:
- Most of the nuts like Almonds, Pista, Walnuts (though grown to some extent in Kashmir), Hazelnuts, Brazil nuts are imported. They attract import duties and logistics charges.
- Though nuts like cashews are grown and are abundantly available in India, the demand outpaces the supply. For comparison, India happens to be the largest exporter of cashews once now is one of the largest importers of the nut.
- Trade barriers with countries like Afghanistan. As there is no direct land route for India to trade with Afghanistan, the goods like raisins and figs traverse around the sea to reach India or to some extent illegally enters India through Pakistan.
- Higher GST: Most of the nuts and dry fruits are taxed at 12%.
- Perishing nature of nut kernels and dry fruits. As these are not fast moving commodities, the traders incur losses as 20% of the produce in case of Figs/Anjeer gets wasted. The traders usually accounts this in the pricing.